This article is far from finished, but I’ll leave it here as a living document.
We try to keep our custom pricing simple by having the same price for all of our custom round buttons and this can create problems. Selecting the correct size for your design is incredibly important and can greatly impact the impression your customers get from your product. Spending the weekend at PAX 2017 this past weekend, I noticed something. Many of the vendors there were giving away 2 1/2 to 3 inch buttons as “swag”. If you were there you may have noticed this as well. What you may not have seen was that there were almost no people wearing anything bigger than 1 1/2 inch buttons on their lanyards or backpacks. Why? Because they’re too damn big. On your lanyard they get in the way of everything and on your bag they hook onto stuff and they just end up in the trash. I ran into a friend who didn’t know we made buttons and they told me that they had just purchased 3 inch buttons for a con they were doing. I think they got 300 of them. They paid somewhere in the realm of $240 for these buttons, when they could have gotten well over 1,000 buttons from us and still had money left over for gas to the con and back.
There are many applications for each of our different sized buttons. Some work well for what you want and some definitely won’t. Here are some guidelines for selecting the correct size button for your application.
- Simple images and logos will work great for 1 inch, while more intricate designs will work best as 1 1/4.
- 1 1/2 are perfect for sayings and intricate logos.
Tips for buying swag for your event:
- Don’t just copy what the other guys are doing. Get what works for you.
- You’re giving the stuff away, just because they take it doesn’t mean it’s working.
- Swag should be useful. keychains, coasters, buttons, whatever. The point of it all is to be an advertisement for your product.